As the Manager of EHS (EHS Manager), the incumbent will serve as the expert concerning matters that impact EHS for the Worcester, MA Bonded plant. This position is a key member of the Operations Management teams and will advise all, from manager level to operations level employees regarding matters related to EHS most specifically Health and Safety. They are responsible for building the processes, programs and culture of EHS with empowerment and collaboration with managers and employees. This is accomplished by working closely with the EHS Engineers and site teams to develop and coordinate all Health and Safety functions.
This position encompasses specifically initiatives relating to the health, and safety of the employees within all the operations it supports. The Manager will be responsible to build and develop the site competency roadmap for EHS and enhance our overall competencies, capabilities, and compliance at the BA site level.
The Manager will also work as EHS coordinator for the whole campus of Worcester, working with the team (Plant Manager and EHS engineer mainly) of the other plant of the campus.
The Manager will also work with key contacts in the Region and Abrasives NAM BU EHS&S Saint-Gobain Surface Solutions to align support and improvement implementation of process and programs. This will ensure alignment with the Region and Business (aligned with Groups) objectives in the areas of Environmental, Health, Safety
- Provide primary support to the plant management team. This will include evaluating EHS data, meeting regularly with management to provide updates and recommendations, and providing technical guidance on EHS issues specific to the business and their processes, providing guidance on annual planning for the organization to define resource needs and prioritize EHS initiatives.
- The Manager will also work with key contacts in the Region and Abrasives NAM BU EHS&S High Performance Solutions to align support and strategy in their area of responsibility.
- Ensure alignment with the Region and Business objectives in the areas of Environmental, Health and Safety
- This position requires decision-making, policy formation, and guidance in the context of intimate knowledge regarding manufacturing practices and raw materials. A great level of independent thinking and integration of technical/regulatory issues is required in order to best advise management and employees.
- Provide direct EHS support to the BA Worcester site. This includes training, permitting, technical reviews, on-site technical support, leading special projects, SG program rollouts, agency interaction (H&S related), regulatory evaluation and response (H&S related), and auditing.
- Leads assessment, analysis and management of the operational risks including risk mitigation, prevention and communication.
- Highlight options for behavior based safety programs that will be best matched to the Worcester BA Operational needs, available resources and nature of risks that are present. Drive to implementation, assist plant with various aspects of implementation and removing roadblocks with management of business.
- Act as site liaison for risk management activities. Through knowledge of operations and processes facilitate the development and exchange of best practices to ensure consistent mitigation of risks. Monitor property loss prevention activities, strive to attain and maintain Highly Protected Risk (HPR) status. Provide recommendations to business about capital expenditures needed to protect assets (often must negotiate with insurance company & risk management personnel). Responsible for review and approval of Risk Grading workbooks.
- Perform periodic EHS assessments concentrating on special focus areas like machine safeguarding, hand protection, LOTO, management of contractors, risk assessments (chemical & physical hazards). Findings are assembled in formal report and are reviewed with site management team. An action plan is developed to close out recommendations.
- Act a coordinator for the whole campus of Worcester, working together with the operation team (Plant Manager and EHS engineer) of the other plant of the campus.
- This position interprets regulations and defines solutions that are in compliance while meeting the needs of the operations. Proficiency in federal regulations, as well as specific knowledge on Massachusetts and Worcester related regulations is necessary.
- Excellent comprehension of government regulations, and a balance of objectivity and realism, must be coupled with the ability to effectively interact and communicate the issues internally and externally.
- Providing guidance & direction to local teams, interaction with equipment vendors and raw material suppliers and direct interaction with regulatory community. Work closely with EHS and engineering resources to facilitate Process Hazard Reviews prior to startup of hazardous operations.
- The Manager will be responsible to build and develop the competency roadmap for EHS professionals in Worcester and enhance our overall capabilities.
- Provide coaching and counseling to their direct and indirect team in terms of performance management, gap identification and development plans.
- Bachelor’s degree in EHS or similar disciplines. required concentration in Environmental/Industrial Hygiene discipline, science, or engineering preferred
- Master of Science – Related ﬁeld. A Master of Science degree in a related field preferred
- Professional certification in EHS field preferred
- 5+ years knowledge/experience within Regulatory Environment required
5+ years first-hand experience in plant EHS management required
- 3+ years leading teams (direct or indirect) comprised of diverse disciplines required
- 3+ years experience/Knowledge/Understanding of product stewardship & environmental, health & safety practices preferred
- 3+ years Hazard Material Processing experience required
- Massachusetts Fire Code(Preforming Process Hazards Analysis)
- NFPA 86 (Oven, Kiln, Afterburner compliance)
- Dust Hazard Analysis
- ATEX Analysis
- 3+ years Machine Guarding required
- 3+ years Health Specific preferred
- Industrial Hygiene
- 3+ years Business Continuity Planning preferred
- 3+ years Emergency Action / Response Planning required
Saint-Gobain is a leading worldwide producer of abrasives, building materials, high-performance plastics, insulation, flat glass, glass containers, piping, reinforcements, and industrial ceramics. The Saint-Gobain Bonded Abrasives manufacturing facility is the manufacturer of bonded abrasives; natural or synthetic grains molded into numerous shapes of grinding wheels. Superabrasive Wheels manufactures products using the world’s hardest materials: diamond or cubic boron nitride (CBN) and are in the form of grinding wheels; used to shape materials that are too hard or too fragile for conventional abrasives.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now