CertainTeed Siding R&D is seeking a driven, talented, and energetic engineer or scientist to join the siding team. The Senior Materials Engineer will conduct research and development in various material technologies, and support our plants to improve manufacturing efficiencies. This individual will have product responsibility, which includes; developing the product formulation; scale-up to manufacturing process; solve problems in the plants; and make continuous improvements. This engineer will use fundamental scientific principles, along with the latest research and methods, to reduce risk and to grow CertainTeed’s siding business. Work will be under the direction of the material group leader.
Concept development and innovation
- The materials engineer must be familiar with the construction industry and trends to be able to create concepts for new products or useful features for existing products.
- Ability to understand competitor’s products using benchmarking, patents, and testing.
- Interpret competitive patents and identify opportunities for product development.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop new materials through product formulation.
- Ability to work in the laboratory safely and handle hazardous materials.
- Maintain awareness with industry trends and maintain contact with raw material suppliers.
- Study changes to a product formulation and understand its impact on the product performance.
- Perform sensitivity studies (or DOEs) to understand the effect of a formulation changes.
- Utilize prior literature research to direct efforts in product development and experiments.
- Document and present results to leadership to gain approval for the product launch.
Product Responsibility and Launch
- Prepare project plans, timelines, and presentations to coordinate activities from the project team.
- Identify key characteristics and develop the appropriate methods for QC testing.
- Develop specifications for the raw materials to ensure that product quality is maintained.
- Maintain responsibility of the formulation and advise the plant of proper tolerances and controls.
- Communicate to the plant recommendations for the shelf-life, labeling, storage conditions.
- Partner with the process team to use proven techniques to minimize product variation.
- Ensure that the process is safe for operators and that all environmental regulations are met.
- Ensure that the product meets all industry standard requirements through testing.
- Perform final product tests to gain final leadership approval for performance, aesthetics, and warranty approval.
- Properly document results and lessons learned for future use.
- Develop and implement solutions for future quality improvements and cost reduction.
- Promote a safe working environment by through policies, practices and equipment.
- BS Degree with a minimum of 7+ years of industry experience, or MS with 3+ years of industry experience, or entry level PhD in: Materials Science/Engineering, Polymer Science/Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience with polymer resins, engineered wood, or coated aluminum for building materials is a plus.
- Must possess the ability to; (1) understand new concepts quickly; (2) determine the appropriate approach; (3) organize, schedule, and coordinate work; and (4) communicate results effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Project, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience using analytical lab equipment (FTIR, DMA, TGA, DSC, others).
- Proficient in statistical analysis of data (MiniTab or equivalent).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated and hands-on.
- Strong attention to detail and can work independently or as part of a team.
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.