The Packaging and Production Support Associate is responsible for all activities related to packaging, and receiving at the Amherst site as well as general production support.
Responsibilities include: the quality, efficiency and accuracy of packaging, data entry, warehousing of final product, outgoing shipments (domestic and international), timely deliveries, accuracy of finished goods inventory, accuracy of related paperwork, safe product handling, proper identification of materials and inventory, availability of packaging materials, optimal truck usage, cost effective transportation (i.e. coordinate full truckloads), and customer satisfaction.
The priority is to ensure the service and quality of product. This position must have a knowledge of product and packaging quality standards and is required to complete a final quality inspection prior to packaging and shipment to ensure customer satisfaction.
Ensures all sample and trial orders are processed and shipped in a timely manner. Acts as a liaison between final production processes in WIP and Finished Goods Warehousing/Shipping. Prepares shipping/packaging related reports as requested.
The responsibilities include supporting basic production tasks as well as maintaining a clean and safe work environment.
***Though this position will generally work Monday – Friday day shift, he/she must be able to work on any shift as assigned and overtime as may be required. Shifts and overtime are subject to change and based upon business conditions. Willingness to work overtime and at times on short notice.***
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Must possess strong organizational skills, as well as detail-oriented and be able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Industrial manufacturing experience preferred
- Forklift experience preferred
- Logistics operations or shipping preferred
- Quality assurance experience preferred
- Computer experience with the use of computer, keyboard and mouse is required – including basic understanding in ERP (QAD), MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- The incumbent must have strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate verbally (including phone) and in writing.
- Must have the ability to work directly with customer service, production, and shipping.
- Analytical skills, problem solving skills, and investigative skills are required in this role, including the efficient and cost effective utilization of packaging supplies, shipments, and other related activities.
- Must be able to work unsupervised, efficiently and safely.
- Must be a team player, self-motivated and dependable
- Responsible for observing safety precautions at all times
Packaging - 45%
- Pack finished goods in a cost effective and efficient manner that aligns with customer requirements and ensures product safety. Focuses on powder packing but at times, will be required to package solids as well.
- Repackages product as necessary.
- Boxes, labels lab samples and attaches to pallets per customer requirements.
- Labels packages being shipped.
- Verifies availability of packaging and shipping
- Works closely with the production planning, production personnel and freight forwarders defining the current ship schedule, weights/dimensions of material and the necessary equipment and other actions as required making shipments.
- Provides effective communication between customer service and shipping.
- Attaches paperwork (packing slip, certificate of analysis, etc.) to shipments, including making copies as required. Accountable for data entry of packing slips and Bills of Lading in ERP System.
- Inspects packaging, containers, trucks, etc. before shipment.
- Cleans and maintains packing area.
Receiving / Inventory - 15%
- Receive inbound materials and log them into ERP system.
- Tag inventoried items and locate them to correct storage locations.
- Packages and documents returns or any miscellaneous shipments
- Researches inventory discrepancies to maintain accurate inventory records
- Reconciles actual inventory against outstanding orders for accuracy and shipment scheduling.
- Assists with Physical inventory and Cycle Counting
Shipping Support - 10%
- Checks inventories to determine order readiness, and tracks production progress.
- Monitors production completion schedules in conjunction with Manufacturing and Production Planning to insure that carriers, containers and packaging are available as needed to ship products as scheduled.
- Load and unload outbound and inbound materials.
- Arranges logistics and generate paperwork for shipments, in accordance with customer instructions and local regulations. This includes generating BOL for all domestic heavy weight shipments as well as contacting transporter for pickup.
- Computes various charges and allowances on sales orders. Ensure proper shipping charges are noted on all shipments.
- Confirms that materials have been shipped.
- Will trace and locate lost shipments and deliveries.
Production Support - 30%
- Safe & efficient operation of various equipment, including but not limited to: ability to make set mix batches, run iso-press, break up ZS material, and other basic tasks to support production.
- Diagnose problems and promptly reports equipment maintenance needs using work order and log book.
- Maintain a safe, clean, and orderly work area throughout manufacturing area as well as individual assigned area. Specific focus on cleaning and improving appearance of Melamine and spray dry areas.
- Insures completion of all scheduled work consistent with quality and cost objectives.
- Assists in W.I.P. inventory control, and weekly as well as yearly cycle counts.
- Participate/assist in monthly safety trainings and safety meeting as scheduled.
Saint-Gobain Ceramics Division regroups Saint-Gobain’s businesses specialized in ceramic-based solutions for industrial clients. Our product range spans from advanced ceramic grains and powders, to specialty refractories and ceramic systems. We offer “Material Solutions That Make a Difference”, in the sense that our ceramic products and services are mission-critical to our customers’ own applications. At the heart of industry, we pride ourselves in serving segment-leading customers across the world, through long-term, trust-based relationships. At Saint-Gobain, our people are our most valuable asset so we provide competitive base salary and incentive compensation packages to reward and recognize employees for their contributions toward the company's success.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.