The candidate will work within CRL Processing Technology team. The team works closely with various Saint-Gobain business units to improve production processes, solve problems, and develop new products. The candidate is expected to manage R&D projects involving polymer processing technologies such as injection molding, extrusion, compounding and industrial automation. While not expected to be an expert in all these areas, the candidate must be able to research and understand new areas of process technology quickly. The projects will be executed on laboratory and pilot-scale equipment at the R&D center, and in collaboration with our manufacturing sites. The candidate should enjoy learning, problem solving, and potentially designing new processes and process technologies.
The candidate will be expected to work on projects in the areas of product, process and equipment design, assessment of design with simulation, simulation engineering services, which includes but is not limited to, scope definition, model construction, model analysis and debugging, result processing, and presenting findings in written and oral formats. The candidate is expected to collaborate effectively with other R&D groups and engineering colleagues within manufacturing Saint-Gobain locations, application engineers and external customers. In addition to the candidate’s primary projects, the candidate will be expected to support projects led by others.
- Extensively utilizes research and/or project experiences, broad expertise of materials, processes, techniques, and products to improve on or develop products, increase performance, or reduce costs, in order to maximize production and/or to support fundamental research within a major product or technology area.
- Incumbent defines the associated tasks and milestones for research and proposes the technical approach, cost estimates, and time schedule. Upon approval, incumbent is responsible for equipment purchases, prototype development, supervision of project team and compilation of results and recommendations
- Stays aware of new technology applications and competitive uses of same in work with materials, products and processes, and in development of new knowledge.
- Create and execute project plans, design and conduct experiments, analyze results, and present findings in written and oral formats.
- Manages multiple projects simultaneously, on time, well documented and within budget to meet business and customer objectives.
- Ability to design and use numerical simulation tools and methods to optimize product design and manufacturing processes to introduce new products, improve quality and reduce cost of existing products, expand the markets into which critical solutions are sold.
- Interacts across a broad range of levels, expertise, and geographic regions.
- Seeks out others to enhance and streamline development and decision making.
- Establishes and shifts priorities as needed to meet commitments and project deliverables.
- Able to communicate technically with internal competencies and university collaborators and utilize knowledge to advance projects and identify productive synergies.
- Requires minimal assistance and guidance on administrative and technical aspects of role, with technical assistance required on only the more difficult problems.
- Continuously and reliably carries projects through to completion with little assistance from supervisor.
- Understands Gate Process methodology/ideology and utilizes and incorporates it in research projects
- Respect and promote a safe work environment and abide by Saint-Gobain safety, health and environment policies and identify opportunities for improving safety in the work place.
- BS Degree with a minimum of 7+ years’ experience or MS with 3+ years of experience plus demonstrated technical judgement/accomplishments or an entry level PhD Degree in polymer science, polymer processing, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering.
- Hands on experience with manufacturing processes/equipment such as polymer processing, 3D CAD design, and process simulations in an industrial or research setting.
- Excellent written and oral communication and ability to collaborate effectively in a matrix structure with people from a wide range of backgrounds including business, manufacturing, research, engineering, marketing, process technicians, and operators.
- Able to communicate and use business language in an industrial environment and coordinate with plant operations.
- Demonstrated ability to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Demonstrate ability to network within and out of group.
- Develop ability to maintain composure and organize teams in high pressure situation.
- Demonstrate understanding of company policies
- Demonstrate understanding of corporate structure
- Experience with polymer processing technologies and equipment is strongly preferred
- Experience with execution of experimental designs (DOE) in a manufacturing environment is a plus
- Experience with additive manufacturing is a plus
- Experience transitioning new processes and products to manufacturing is a plus
- Experience with process automation and/or control is a plus
Saint-Gobain Research (SGR) North America is one of Saint-Gobain’s largest industrial research laboratories. The center is home to more than 400 employees working at the leading edge of innovation on multidisciplinary industrial research, preparing the future by designing tomorrow's products and processes across an amazing variety of markets and technical disciplines. Since 1985, SGR North America has been supporting existing businesses, developing future businesses, and nurturing talent.
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.