Product development, manufacturing and process engineering support with the ultimate objective of sustainable, profitable growth of the top line sales objective. This position requires knowledge of handling laboratory chemicals, formulation of chemical mixtures, testing chemical formulations, and product testing and measurement. The incumbent will be expected to work independently with minimal supervision and provide report summaries in an accurate & organized manner.
1. Perform and report on laboratory testing of incoming raw materials for mechanical, chemical and physical properties according to existing quality plans or engineers’ instructions. The raw materials can be thin plastic films, chemicals for adhesives and coating formulations, organic and inorganic compounds used in research and production.
2. Use, calibrate and maintain basic lab instrumentation, such as HazeGard instrument, Hunter LAB, distortion tester, gloss meters and Brookfield viscometer.
3. Collect, prepare, organize and label samples for tests. This includes cutting samples to size, lamination to glass, preparing samples for external use.
4. Support other lab techs with weathering and accelerated corrosion testing.
5. Perform analysis on advanced characterization techniques with supervision, such as measurements of solar film properties using the UV-Vis-NIR spectrophotometer, material characterization and identification using FT-IR, determination of thermomechanical properties using the DMA, mechanical testing using Instron equipment, optical characterizations on optical and scanning electron microscopy, compositional analysis with XRF.
6. Perform and interpret formula calculations for coatings and basic knowledge of coat weight calculations.
7. Interpret lab data and present data in a logical format in electronic reports.
8. Commitment to working in team environment.
9. Strictly adheres to environmental, health and safety regulations in the laboratory and in the company. Work with chemicals including volatile and flammable solvents. Safety is primary responsibility towards self and colleagues. Performs safety observations, cold eye reviews, safety toolbox meetings, pre-task planning activities and other safety supporting activities in the company. Completes and inspects regularly required areas, engineered safety solutions, personal protection equipment, guarding of equipment. Reports observed issues immediately and corrects reported observations where possible by self or in conjunction with the manager/supervisor.
10. Performs lab scale draw-downs for the lamination of films, application of functional coatings and adhesives. Knowledge of Meyer rod and slot die sizing and selection for coat weight optimization. Experience with lab scale UV curing of hard coat formulations. Ability determine coat weight and performance properties of the draw downs.
1. Associate's degree (A.A.) or equivalent from a two-year College or Technical School; or two to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Good organizational & communication skills.
3. Computer skills in Excel, Word, Teams.
4. This position may require shifts that include weekend or second/third shift assignments.
Saint-Gobain’s innovations touch almost every major industry around the world, Composite Systems is comprised of three business units including Films & Fabrics, Tape Solutions and Thin Films. Our ambition is to provide innovative solutions that combine material science, processing technology and design to save energy, provide protection, improve comfort, and give peace-of-mind to our customers. Our unique performance is delivered by passionate people, empowered to collaborate closely with our customers and solve their toughest challenges.
Our team members recognize that we all create the environment for people to succeed, with a culture built on respect, open and honest communication, and honoring our commitments to our customers and each other. And at the heart of our culture, we’ve learned working together makes good ideas, great ones.
With a legacy dating back more than 350 years, Saint-Gobain offers employees the stability and security of a leading Global 500 corporation while operating like multiple small and agile start-ups, where entrepreneurial spirit, pioneering teamwork, and bold, forward-thinking ideas pave new paths.
Every team member is encouraged to develop and leverage their unique expertise and strengths to make the greatest impact on the company and our end users. At Saint-Gobain, you’re empowered and equipped with countless opportunities and resources for professional development. You will find the support you need to create a vision and roadmap for your career, and make that vision a reality.
Invent yourself at Saint-Gobain Composites, and together, let’s protect what matters most!
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now