CertainTeed is looking for driven, talented, and energetic engineers to join our team working on projects that focus on manufacturing process optimization and new product development for CertainTeed Gypsum’s plasterboard products. As a Process R&D Engineer, the candidate will – through application of research and development technologies – enhance the fundamental understanding of manufacturing processes as required to optimize plant performance regarding safety, reliability, process control, quality and cost. Phases of development include pilot trials, scale-up, and implementation of R&D processes and new products into manufacturing. The candidate will take project objectives and transform them in to actionable tasks including research of technologies, design and execution of experimentation, analysis of results, and generation of IP and technical reports.
This position will provide scientific and engineering specialization as well as project management to drive technical concepts and theories toward practical, beneficial implementation in manufacturing. The candidate will have a focus on research and development in all aspects of the group’s technical area, process optimization, and new product development, thereby building technical depth in multiple areas. Under the direction of the Senior Process Development Engineer, the candidate will acquire a sound knowledge of lab formulation and testing, and all aspects relating to industrial manufacture of plasterboards at plants. Using this knowledge, the candidate will design and execute pilot trials, analyze outcomes, and work cross functionally with various local and central teams to implement solution at plants. The candidate can also be expected to provide technical support to plant Operations teams as needed. In addition to designing experiments for the candidate’s primary projects, the candidate will be expected to conduct experiments to support projects led by others.
Essential Function and Responsibilities:
• Utilizes sound technical knowledge of materials, processes, techniques, and products to improve on product performance to reduce costs, to maximize production, and to support new knowledge research.
• Lead manufacturing trials within process area – trial plan preparation, planning with local teams, risk mitigation strategies, trial execution – to promote understanding and innovation.
• Conducts laboratory scale studies as required or to prepare manufacturing trials.
• Supports R&D teams with planning & execution of manufacturing trials for new product developments.
• Works efficiently with Malvern Innovation Center (MIC), SGR-North America(SGR-NA), Gypsum Process Innovation (GPI), and other R&D resources to identify and develop practical solutions for CTG processes.
• Manages and documents projects effectively under minimal supervision by a technical leader.
• Actively research technical literature, prior art, and patents, and seek out potential intellectual property opportunities in collaboration with legal team.
• Maintains thorough documentation and communication of projects, trial reports, scientific developments.
• Responsible for developing and presenting project progress to all levels of the organization.
• Demonstrates open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility.
• Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
• Seeks out others to enhance and streamline development and decision making.
• Respectful communication and ability to collaborate in a team environment required.
• Demonstrate ability to network within and out of group.
• Demonstrate understanding of company policies and corporate structure.
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.
Research Engineer II – CertainTeed Gypsum R&D
Location: Carrollton, Kentucky
Posting Date: 11/21/2021
Job Code: USA00063See yourself here