Are you looking to join a well-established company where you can have a long and successful career? With over 350 years of history as a Company, we're one of only two companies in the world that is consistently recognized as both a top Global Employer and a Top 100 Global Innovator. We are committed to our mission to improve lives because, every day, we witness the enormous impact of our efforts on the world around us.
We offer comprehensive benefits such as:
- Competitive wages & annual bonus opportunity
- Retirement benefits
- Career development opportunities, including Tuition Reimbursement
- PTO Programs, including 100% Paid Parental Leave, Paid Employee Volunteer Program, and more
- Many additional benefits, including: Vacation, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, Group Legal, Pet Insurance, etc.
We are looking for driven, energetic Shift Supervisor to join our team in Chippawa, Ontario. The Shift Supervisor is responsible for the supervision of hourly employees and the safe, efficient, and effective manufacturing operations to meet production targets within the limits of safety, costs, product quality standards and environmental control standards. This individual provides visible leadership to all employees and must be a safety mentor, and must convey this to employees by personal demonstrated behavior at all times.
This position works 12-hour rotating shifts including weekends and holidays. Shifts and overtime are subject to change based upon business conditions.
- Ensures a competent workforce through proper instruction and direction, promote safety through the identification and correction of unsafe acts and conditions, good housekeeping practices and standards and compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Assigns work to personnel to achieve efficient utilization of labour - keep plant running through all shifts - arrange required production overtime and call-ins and the use of outside contractors to supplement factory service department within the guidelines of the current Work Rules and Collective Agreement. Work together with production team with the objective for continuous improvement in all operational requirements.
- Maintains satisfactory employee relations through the application of Company policies and in compliance with the terms of the Collective Agreement. Carry out probationary evaluations and recommend appropriate disciplinary actions to the Industrial Projects Director when necessary.
- High School Diploma, or equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business Management or Science is preferred
- Experience within supervision within an industrial environment required
- A thorough understanding of electric arc Furnacing preferred
- Occupational Health and Safety knowledge
- Working knowledge and experience of 5S and Continuous Improvement or Lean Manufacturing
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), Outlook, and ERP systems required
- Good oral and written communication skills are required with positive human relation skills
- Prior work experience in a union environment is mandatory
- Must foster a team environment and lead by example
- Lead and mentor production team and help resolve personnel issues.
- Prepares and maintains appropriate communication with the Industrial Projects Director, Production & Maintenance Supervisor, and with incoming Shift Supervisor at shift change. Shift Supervisor is required to complete a shift pass on report during each shift; this report must contain all occurrences of shift.
- The Shift Supervisor is expected to be present at every furnace tap; it is critical that the Shift Supervisor is in the furnace area, observing the process, watching for safe/unsafe behaviour, making required changes to the process, documenting conditions.
- The Shift Supervisor is responsible for all Company property during the time of the shift and to ensure all employees are following proper and safe procedures in the operation of all Company equipment.
- Safety and Health: Discuss safety with employees on every shift; address unsafe conditions/potential hazards immediately; inspect often, inspect intelligently, and follow-up. Always observe Company HSE policies and be adamant that your employees are also following them.
- Support Company Safety Plan at all times. These include but are not limited to the following ongoing programs: Monthly Safety talks, Behaviour-Based Safety, 5S, Accident and Incident/Hazard Reporting, LOTO/Machine Guarding, Risk Hazard Analysis, performing 1 SMAT per month .
- Support Company Environmental plans and all Government regulations concerning the environment.
- Designated as First Aid responder on shift; apply minor first aid as required, and determine appropriate actions required in emergency situations.
- As a Representative of the Company, it is mandatory that all rules/policies of the Company are adhered to fairly and are consistently implemented at all times.
- The Shift Supervisor is responsible to enforce the rules that are set out by the Company – and responsible for a timely report to the Operations Manager should an employee be in violation of these rules; and to follow the required corrective actions.
- Understand the Stores function to process the necessary parts to ensure timely repairs.
Saint-Gobain Ceramics Division regroups Saint-Gobain’s businesses specialized in ceramic-based solutions for industrial clients. Our product range spans from advanced ceramic grains and powders, to specialty refractories and ceramic systems. We offer “Material Solutions That Make a Difference”, in the sense that our ceramic products and services are mission-critical to our customers’ own applications. At the heart of industry, we pride ourselves in serving segment-leading customers across the world, through long-term, trust-based relationships. At Saint-Gobain, our people are our most valuable asset so we provide competitive base salary and incentive compensation packages to reward and recognize employees for their contributions toward the company's success.
Why work for us?
At Saint-Gobain, our employees have pride in belonging to an organization whose culture is made up of these core values: Trust, Empowerment, & Collaboration. Our company encourages diversity and inclusion in all its forms while our products make the world a more beautiful, safer, and sustainable home.
Saint-Gobain is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer committed to providing reasonable accommodations throughout the recruitment process to applicants upon their request. This commitment is in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).