Under the supervision of the R&D Manager – Process Technology, this Sr. Research Engineer position is responsible for leading manufacturing and technical development projects and process improvements. This position will facilitate the development and implementation of new processes, techniques & tools. The ability to communicate across all levels of the organization will be essential for this role in order to influence others and drive projects.
- Conducts research and development process improvements related to the production of Gypsum Wall Board
- Works with all US & Canadian plants around new product development with a focus on glass-faced products.
- Establish a liner (paper and glass mat) competency in R&D. Develop expertise through laboratory experiments and plant data to support various gypsum board projects.
- Develops and encourages innovation and Intellectual Property (IP) development and fosters IP development through the patent process with legal support.
- Utilizes sound technical knowledge of materials, processes, techniques, and products to improve on product performance to reduce costs, to maximize production, and to support new knowledge research.
- Manages and documents projects effectively without supervision by a technical leader.
- Demonstrates open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility.
- Seeks out others to enhance and streamline development and decision making.
- Identifies opportunities that could benefit from innovative solutions and work with R&D, operations, and technical teams to develop solutions.
- Provides technical support and assistance for trials, commissioning and troubleshooting of new technology.
- Responsible for thorough documentation and communication of projects, trial reports, scientific developments, etc.
- Prepares trial plans and leads manufacturing trials.
- Responsible for developing and presenting project progress to all levels of the organization.
- Coordinates work with external suppliers, universities, institutes and contract laboratories.
- Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
- Demonstrate ability to network within and out of group.
- Demonstrate understanding of company policies
- Develop understanding of corporate structure.
- Incumbent demonstrates ability to work with colleagues at various levels.
- Respectful communication and ability to collaborate in a team environment required.
- Prior industrial or research experience in the gypsum/cement manufacturing processes is a plus
- Prior industrial or research experience in the experience in paper or nonwoven industry also a plus
- Proven ability to work in a production environment, building relationships and establishing support to drive projects forward.
- Able to communicate technically with internal competencies and university collaborators and utilize knowledge to advance projects and identify productive synergies.
- BS Degree with a minimum of 6+ years’ experience, or MS with 3+ years of experience, or entry level PhD in chemical, material or mechanical engineering field, plus demonstrated technical judgement/accomplishments.
- Must possess a body of technical work commensurate with their years of experience including but not limited to: demonstration of familiarity with statistical tools, data analysis, and drawing conclusions based on a collection of basic data and interpretation.
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of HSE
- Travel will be required up to 50% of the time.
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now