The Data & Measurement Solutions group is looking for a Non Destructive Evaluation (NDE) engineer to join their team within the Competency Research Labs at Saint-Gobain Research North America located in Northboro, MA. The Data & Measurement Solutions group works closely with Saint-Gobain’s various business units and translates data and foundational knowledge in metrology, programming, mechanical systems, and applied mathematics to tailored physical and digital solutions.
This position is looking for a driven, talented, and energetic engineer to support the development of internal NDE competencies and the implementation of NDE solutions at manufacturing facilities to improve the control of processes and product quality. Activities will range from identifying internal customer needs, scoping new NDE methods, developing different ways to use traditional NDE methods, applying NDE to accelerate new material development efforts, and supporting the implementation of industrialized NDE solutions at plants. The primary responsibilities of the job are summarized below:
- Lead multiple assigned projects in the NDE field. The projects may be related to the development of competencies and to the internal dissemination of knowledge and information, or directly driven by needs expressed by Saint-Gobain businesses.
- Work with R&D partners and manufacturing & process engineers to understand inline measurement and process / product quality control needs and scope projects.
- Perform proof-of-concept lab experiments, develop data processing routines, support the in-house development of semi-industrialized solutions, & coordinate with integrators to implement & qualify sustainable industrialized solutions.
- Follow NDE methods’ technical development at the academic & industrial levels and support the development of internal competencies as relevant.
- Manage and execute projects following a standard project management approach.
- Summarize project approaches and results in concise and accurate technical memos/reports.
- Communicate project strategies and results to internal customers and management through formal presentations.
- Champion efforts to drive HSE initiatives and consciousness in the organization.
- Proven ability to think critically, strategize and organize tasks autonomously on assigned projects, and establish viable technical paths forward. Proven ability to learn & iterate quickly on projects and redefine path forward as relevant
- Proven ability to execute experimental tests with minimal supervision and with an attention to detail.
- Familiarity with NDE techniques (ultrasound, acoustic emission, microwave, capacitive, resonance-based techniques) is a plus.
- Familiarity with statistical tools, data analysis, and process control is a plus.
- Elaborate projects’ scientific strategy, goals and deliverables with minimum guidance.
- Respectful communication and ability to collaborate in a team environment is required.
- BS degree with a minimum of 3+ years’ industry experience or an entry level candidate with an MS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or related fields.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are necessary to communicate with all levels of management, customers, colleagues, and external partners.
- Demonstrated technical judgments/accomplishments, project leadership, & team collaboration.
- Up to 25% travel may be required, subject to COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now