The CRL Surface and Polymer Materials group is seeking a Principal Scientist at the Saint-Gobain North America’s Research Center. The qualified candidate will have knowledge of material science and engineering, experience with polymer materials and soft matters. The candidate will lead product and process development projects in a team approach working closely with product management, manufacturing and customers. The candidate will take project objectives and transform them in to actionable tasks including research of technologies, design and execution of experiments, analysis of results, and generation of IP and technical reports. The ability to communicate across all levels of the organization will be essential for this role in order to influence others and drive projects.
This candidate will have a focus on research and development in all aspects of the group’s technical area and new product development, thereby building technical depth in multiple areas of polymer material technology and serve as technical expert in polymer science and engineering. The candidate will be expected to conduct research on structure-property relationships, polymer chemistry, polymer physics, and material characterization. The candidate will have experience in one or several areas including formulation, synthesis, characterization, and surface modification of polymeric materials. In addition to a strong polymer material background, the candidate should have a basic understanding of polymer processing, including compounding resins and characterization of polymers and blends, extrusion, and molding. The candidate will also design and run experiments, produce lab scale samples, and analyze the experimental outcomes, and scale-up from lab to pilot to manufacturing. The candidate will take a key role on product assessment, optimization and scale up and will organize R&D technical exchanges, identify, and share best practices among all Saint-Gobain R&D groups and manufacturing facilities.
- Extensively utilize research and/or project experiences, broad expertise in plastics/polymeric and composite materials, process, and products to improve on or develop products, increase performance, or reduce costs, in order to maximize production and/or to support fundamental research within a major product or technology area.
- Establish project strategy in collaboration with stakeholders, assigning the work with the team and insuring the execution is done in a timely manner and within budget using standard project management tools.
- Define the associated tasks and milestones for research and proposes the technical approach, cost estimates, and time schedule. Upon approval, incumbent is responsible for proof-of-concept in the lab, prototype development, supervision of project team and compilation of results and recommendations.
- Actively communicating to the stakeholders including technical results, progress towards targets and potential delays.
- Insure quality of the work produced by the team including thorough analyses of data, development of new test method and use of collaboration with Competency Research Lab as needed; concise and thorough technical reports written in a timely manner.
- Lead a team composed of technicians and engineers. Responsible for setting up individual objectives, provide trainings and regular feedbacks.
- Stay aware of new technology applications and competitive uses of same in work with materials, products and processes, and in development of new knowledge.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, on time, well documented and within budget to meet business and customer objectives.
- Demonstrate open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility.
- Seek out others to enhance and streamline development and decision making.
- Establish and shifts priorities as needed to meet commitments and project deliverables.
- Able to communicate technically with internal competencies and university collaborators and utilize knowledge to advance projects and identify productive synergies.
- Continuously and reliably carries projects through to completion with little assistance from supervisor.
- Understand Gate Process methodology/ideology and utilizes and incorporates it in research projects.
- Respect and promote a safe work environment and abide by Saint-Gobain safety, health and environment policies and identify opportunities for improving safety in the work place.
- Demonstrated strong knowledge in HSE and IP
- Excellent project management skills are desire.
- Innovative thinking and a drive for success is required.
- Demonstrated technical judgement/accomplishments, team collaboration, and oral and written communication skills required
- Project leadership including: project management, experimental design, delegation, problem solving and teamwork.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill to communicate in a clear, effective, and respectful way to all levels in a global organization
- BS Degree with a minimum of 15+ years’ experience, or MS with 10+ years of experience, or PhD with 6+ years in Degree in Material Science, Plastics/Polymer Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or other related disciplines plus demonstrated technical judgement/accomplishments, project leadership, team collaboration, and oral and written communication skills
- Must possess a body of technical work commensurate with their years of experience including but not limited to demonstration of familiarity with statistical tools, data analysis, and ability to interpret and draw conclusions based on a collection of basic data and interpretation, IP, Patents, and technical documents.
- 3+ years of hands on experience with polymeric materials, material characterization, and surface science in an industrial or research setting are required.
- Laboratory experience with fluoropolymers is strongly preferred.
- Experience with polymer surface modification is a plus
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now