The Data Science and Artificial Intelligence group is looking for a data engineer to join their team within the Competency Research Labs at the Saint-Gobain Research North America center located in Northboro, MA. The Data Science and Artificial Intelligence group works closely with Saint Gobain’s various business units and central teams, and translates data and foundational knowledge in applied mathematics and computer science to tailored digital solutions.
This position is looking for a driven, talented, curious and fast learning data engineer with proficiency in:
- Linux system administration,
- Cloud technology and services (Microsoft Azure preferred) including data integration within the cloud,
- Cleaning and transformation of data into usable tables and structures,
- Deployment and maintenance of algorithms and applications on sandbox and production environments,
Saint-Gobain Research North America is an R&D facility with a strong collaborative and continuous learning culture. This is a pivotal role in the development of the center’s data science capabilities and an opportunity to make a strong impact and rapidly develop soft and hard skills by supporting the development of connected objects, and digital solutions for R&D, manufacturing (industry 4.0), and sales & marketing, and interfacing with data scientists, statisticians, application developers, and local & central IT teams. Upskilling in data science and machine learning operations (reproducibility of models and predictions, automatic deployment, model performance monitoring, periodic retraining) is an expectation of the role.
The primary responsibilities of the job are summarized below:
- Linux sandbox server administration and troubleshooting:
- Managing user groups and access to the server
- Collaboration with local and central IT teams to ensure that the server and the practices are compliant with Saint-Gobain cybersecurity rules
- Creation and troubleshooting of data flows between systems
- Ensuring reliable network communication at the application level
- Supporting data scientists and application developer in their effort to deploy applications on the server (for instance: Python-based and R Shiny applications, RESTful APIs, containerized or not), which includes establishing procedures and best practices for the various use cases.
- Cloud (MS Azure preferred)
- Developing and maintaining data pipelines that ingest, transform, and distribute several data streams and/or batches.
- Exposing proof-of-concepts to internal customers using cloud services:
- Strong understanding of (Azure) IaaS and PaaS offering
- Experience in designing cloud architectures (Azure), pricing estimation and deployments
- Migrate and manage workloads, set up authentication services and integration with internet data lakes and networks
- Experience with CI/CD implementation (preferred but not mandatory)
- Maintaining models, as part of proof of value efforts.
- Interfacing with internal business and central IT teams to ensure the transfer to production in a cyber-secure and robust manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Must have 3+ years of hands-on experience with Linux systems administration, cloud technology and data integration (MS Azure preferred). Especially, the following is a plus:
- Design and automation of Azure infrastructure deployment
- Expertise with Azure IaaS and PaaS such as WebApps, Azure Functions, Container Instances, Logic Apps, Event Grid, Storage and Security
- Understanding of Azure AD services and Azure security, VNet peering and Azure Bastion
- Strong security awareness and knowledge of Azure best practices for security
- Experience with ETL processes such as SSIS package creation and SQL Job management. Ability to cleanse and transform data into usable tables and structures for direct use by data scientists.
- Proficiency with Docker technology is necessary.
- An understanding of the principles of machine learning is necessary
- Proven ability to efficiently interface with various departments and getting things done by leveraging multiple teams.
- Strong problem solving skills, proven ability to persist and overcome technical and organizational challenges.
- Eager to learn and natural curiosity for new technologies.
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now