CertainTeed is looking for driven, talented, and energetic senior level engineers to join our team. Under the supervision of the R&D Manager, the Gypsum material and formulation R&D Team is looking for an experienced Research Engineer to lead innovative new product development and sustainability projects with strong knowledge of chemistry and material science.
The engineer will work closely with Saint-Gobain global R&D network and CertainTeed Gypsum plants to develop and understand relationship between raw material and final gypsum board properties.
Essential Function and Responsibilities:
- Utilizes broad technical background and experience to develop and/or improve products, processes, and performance and/or reduce costs within a major product area.
- Leads formulation/raw material innovation, successful implementation with cost reduction opportunity
- Develops test methods and implements new equipment and test capability for the company/business. Manages lab capital investment project.
- Develops analytical modeling framework for new predictive tool
- Leads and collaborates with cross functional teams in North America and global research centers.
- Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed.
- Coordinates work with external suppliers, universities, institutes and contract laboratories.
- Stays aware of new technology applications and technology landscape and competitive uses of same in work with materials, products and processes, and in development of new knowledge.
- Manages multiple projects simultaneously, on time, well documented and within budget to meet business and customer objectives.
- Summarizes project approaches and results in concise and accurate technical memos/reports.
- Able to communicate technically with internal competencies and university collaborators and utilize knowledge to advance projects and identify productive synergies.
- Communicates project strategies and results to internal customers and management through formal presentations.
- Conducts research and development process improvements related to the production of Gypsum Wall Board
- Develops and encourages innovation and Intellectual Property (IP) development and fosters IP development through the patent process with legal support.
- Manages projects from technical concept to operational
- Master’s degree 7+ years’ experience or PhD 3+ years’ experience in material science, organic-inorganic chemistry or related fields.
- Must have hands-on experience with development, facility preparation, procurement, installation, and commission of new test capability
- Must be proficient with managing lab resources including direct and/or indirect report and raw material, equipment, safety, 5S and other.
- Project leadership and management, team collaboration, and strong oral and written communication skills are required.
- Technical background in chemistry and soft matter physics, such as starch, polymer, foam, dispersion, and interface.
- Experience in rheology of powder and suspension is a plus.
- Experience with porous material characterization (porosity, mechanical strength,) is a plus.
- Demonstrate familiarity with statistical tools, programming, and data analysis.
- Proven ability to think critically, strategize and organize tasks autonomously on assigned projects, and establish viable technical and scientific paths forward.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate with all levels of management, customers, colleagues, and external partners.
- Previous R&D project management and manufacturing experience is a plus.
- Demonstrates good knowledge in HSE and IP.
- Develop understanding of company policies and corporate structure.
- Up to 30% travel may be required, subject to COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions.
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now