Saint-Gobain is a leading worldwide producer of abrasives, building materials, high-performance plastics, insulation, flat glass, glass containers, piping, reinforcements and industrial ceramics. The Saint-Gobain Bonded Abrasives manufacturing facility is the manufacturer of bonded abrasives; natural or synthetic grains molded into numerous shapes of grinding wheels.
The Materials Manager, Bonded Abrasives is responsible for all Shipping, Receiving, Warehouse and Material Handling Operations at the Worcester location. The incumbent will provide leadership and direction to a team of 5-20 employees across 2 plants and from remote storage locations. This position is directly responsible for customer service, inventory turns, inventory control, warehousing, material movement and all traffic activity at the Worcester location.
The principal end results are:
- Manages the Shipping and Receiving Function for the Worcester location. Oversees, develops and trains the Shipping and Receiving Team to ensure safety and quality while optimizing labor and freight costs. Directly responsible for all inbound and outbound traffic activity at the Worcester location, and regularly works with the North America Transportation Manager to improve carrier service and cost (approximately 62,500 outbound orders per year).
- Ensures that materials are safeguarded and that proper inventory controls are in place to support all manufacturing activity at the Worcester location. Provides regular coaching and direction to the Warehouse Team related to proper material handling and storage techniques. Additionally, is directly responsible to establish and maintain plant inventory levels to achieve both business and customer service objectives.
- Ensures proper receipt, storage, and recording of transfers of raw materials from both Worcester plants.
- Ensures proper receipt, storage, and recording of transfers of finished and semi-finished goods from both Worcester plants.
- Manages and oversees annual raw material physical inventory in conjunction with Finance requirements and supports the Finished Goods annual physical inventory as required.
- Reports on key production metrics, including, but not limited to: cycle count accuracy, inventory accuracy, and number of stock outs.
- Develops and periodically reviews general stocking plans and policies for bonded abrasives products that support short and long term inventory strategies and objectives.
- Develops and nurtures forecasting systems to help maintain inventory at optimum levels. Works with other divisions to leverage best practices. Reviews product velocity, obsolescence and safety stock levels.
- Partners with operations to continuously improve the efficiency and effectiveness of material handling while also reducing lead times and improving customer service.
- Develops and maintains reporting tools for upper management to monitor inventory levels by category for all bonded abrasives (include all sub-business units).
- Participates as key resource in all logistics related projects and initiatives at the Worcester location.
The successful candidate should possess the following requirements:
- Skills associated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Operations Management or Industrial Engineering.
- 5+ years’ experience in supply chain/shipping/manufacturing operations
- APICS training and experience highly preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of production, ERP/MRP, and supply chain management tools and procedures in an industrial/manufacturing environment
- Expertise in use of MS Excel, as well as demonstrated proficiencies in Project, Visio, ERP (SAP preferred) and MS Office applications
- Ability to work in a fast paced manufacturing environment and confirm to shifting priorities to meet tight deadlines.
- Major functional responsibilities of positions reporting to incumbent:
- Materials Analyst – Plan on campus material movements, Bond Planning.
- Shippers, Receivers, Finishing Operators: responsible for all inbound and outbound traffic activity in support of manufacturing activity within 2 plants and material storage locations.
- Material Coordinators: responsible for the proper receipt, storage, cycle counting and inventory control for all raw materials in support of manufacturing operations in 2 plants.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now