Saint-Gobain Research North America is looking for a driven, talented, and energetic experienced design engineer to join our growing Life Sciences team.
Saint-Gobain produces a variety of single-use products for advanced cell and gene therapies, applying our deep experience in material science and engineering to oncology and other fields. We are searching for an experienced Design Engineer or Industrial Designer to help us deepen our practice in design thinking, prototyping & iteration to help bring new products to life. The new team member will have the opportunity to leverage their design & engineering expertise by leading their projects from the initial stages of conceptualization, prototyping and experimental testing to scale-up and large-scale manufacturing. Projects will include new product development for all areas of biopharma, from vaccine production to patient-specific oncology therapies.
The selected candidate will be working closely with the Cell Therapy team in our new Life Sciences laboratory located on the campus of the University of Massachusetts Science Park in Worcester, MA. This new facility is dedicated to the research of cell and material interactions for designing and optimizing single-use systems for cell and gene therapies.
This is a new role within the team and therefore we are looking for a candidate interested and qualified to establish this competency, including the required processes and resources, within our organization.
- Experienced industrial designer or mechanical engineer with expertise in 3D CAD, prototyping & testing. Utilizes standard machine shop tools, 3D printing, specialized equipment & external vendors to develop prototypes & conduct iterative design.
- Excellent communicator – verbal, written, and visual. Acts as subject matter expert for design thinking & customer-centric design practices, strengthening these capabilities throughout the business
- Manages projects from inception through scale-up, including working with 3rd party manufacturers. Manages multiple projects simultaneously, on time, well documented and within budget. Is able to balance creativity with process and documentation.
- Exhibits creativity in selecting approaches and techniques for obtaining solutions. Has a bias for action and agile methods, is unafraid to try things as a way of learning.
- Utilizes technical background and experience to develop and/or improve products, processes, and performance and/or reduce costs within a major product area based on fundamental understanding of customer problem statement and able to translate customer requirements to technical requirements for problem solving, and able to conduct fit-for-use validation for industrialization of the new product or process.
- Stays aware of new technology applications and competitive uses of same in work with materials, products and processes, and in development of new knowledge and applies this to personal research/ products.
- Maintains open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrated track record of developing products in a highly regulated industry (biopharma, pharma, medical devices, automotive, aerospace, etc.). Experience with design control is a plus.
- Desire and demonstrated ability to establish and lead a new competency within the team.
- Understanding process and methodology of fit-for-use validation in a heavily regulated industry.
- Track record of successful utilization of risk management based validation plan development and execution.
- Mastery of 3D CAD (Solidworks) & fabrication, 3D printing, and basic machine shop equipment & techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to identify unmet needs & define projects via design thinking or other customer-centric innovation methods. Experience organizing & leading of Voice-of-Customer feedback in multiple settings, group sizes and customer types is a plus.
- Project management skills, team collaboration, and oral and written communication skills
- Identification and management – including contract negotiation – of 3rd party vendors is a plus.
- Must possess a body of technical work commensurate with their years of experience including but not limited to: demonstration of hands-on product development, design, customer interaction, and drawing conclusions based on a collection of basic data and interpretation
- Demonstrated adequate knowledge in HSE, including the experience and willingness to establish and enforce policies that ensure safety of self and others.
- Strong verbal, visual and written communication, including comfort presenting to senior management, biopharma customers, and different functions throughout the business. Demonstrated ability to communicate across disciplines.
BS, BA, or BFA degree with a minimum of 8+ years’ industry experience, or MS/MFA degree with a minimum of 4+ years’ industry experience in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design or related.
Experience with developing products for biopharmaceutical, pharmaceutical or medical device industries
Experience fabricating prototypes using machine shop equipment, professional 3D printing & external vendors. Design thinking & agile product development methods
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now