Saint-Gobain Life Sciences is seeking a Design Engineer that energized by solving customer problems with creative and cost effective product design solutions.
The Design Engineer is responsible to create and develop product and system designs for the Bioprocess Solutions SBU customers in cell therapy, gene therapy and bioprocessing market segments. They will learn and understand the customer’s problem statement and work with the BPS application engineering team to design cost effective solutions. The Design Engineer will utilize their experience and knowledge in ergonomic product design, fluid handling systems, materials and material processing design to provide optimal design options. The candidate will convert realistic design concepts and solutions into the tools necessary to validate and manufacture the product or system. This includes product, manufacturing, packaging and tooling drawings. The candidate will:
- Conduct product/system design reviews, determine and present design risks and offer solutions
- Create 3D and 2D designs and drawings using Solidworks/PDM/Driveworks that meet internal and customer requirements
- Manage all aspects of single use systems design including, form, fit, functionality, manufacturability, prototyping to product packaging. Products designed can be components, sub-assemblies to systems.
- Ensure technical accuracy of specific design details per user requirement specifications
- Generate manufacturing cost of assemblies as output of the design process
- Recommend/Develop process for executing transition from design to manufacturing.
- Liaise with internal and external customers to identify their requirements, preferences and needs. Effectivley communicate design options, analyze feedback and apply to design iterations.
- Investigate and undertake analysis on how to improve existing processes, software, best practices, and automation
- Plan effectively to ensure projects are delivered on time and to appropriate quality standards
Promotes a safe working environment, complies with proper use of PPE, reports incidents, and participates in functional department safety meetings. Exhibits good environmental practices and procedures consistent with job(s) performed and EMS (Environmental Management System) requirements.
- Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design, or related field required.
- 3 or more years of product design and development required. Involved in design of new product and experience with customer interaction developing and/or gathering design requirements.
- SolidWorks design 3D and 2D modeling required.
- Excellent skills in the following software programs: Microsoft Projects, Excel, Word, SolidWorks, and EPDM required.
- Injection molding tool design preferred. Understanding of plastic or injection molding, material flow dynamics, mold flow modeling and tooling development
- 3D printing preferred. Experience with FDM, SLA, or other 3D printing equipment.
- Experience administering design or related software systems preferred.
Product design: Conduct design reviews to include identifying design issues, needs and risks. Fully understand customer specifications, product environment and uses. Develop design approach options and fully evaluate potential design solutions including prototyping and testing as needed. Create accurate product designs using SolidWorks and convert into working documents for engineering and manufacturing. Design with manufacturability and current capabilities in mind, however offer alternative manufacturing options for non-obvious designs. Product designs must have high attention to detail with potential risk issues addressed before proceeding to manufacturing.
Complete 3D designs and create 2d detailed drawings based on customer and business development manager input. Use Driveworks to automate the design creation and control the standard library
Customer and sales technical support – Liaise with customers, engineers, technical service and sales managers to gather and/or refine specifications related single-use product and assembly design. Deliver technical support and suggestions needed to provide customers timely responses, appropriate data, cost-effective designs to meet their project timelines.
Continuous Improvement projects – Stay abreast of best modeling practices, automation opportunity, and new software enhancements. Lead projects that result in time and cost savings as well as bettering the customer experience.
Saint-Gobain’s innovations touch almost every major industry around the world. Within its Life Sciences division, teams are solving critical problems for customers who are getting life-saving medical devices to the frontlines of healthcare, discovering essential medications, and nourishing and connecting the world through consumer, industrial and electronics applications. As one of the world’s leading producers of high-performance polymer products, we improve lives by making simple experiences better and being there in life’s critical moments.
Our team members recognize that we all create the environment for people to succeed, with a culture built on respect, open and honest communication, and honoring our commitments to our customers and each other. And at the heart of our culture, we’ve learned working together makes good ideas, great ones.
With a legacy dating back more than 350 years, Saint-Gobain offers employees the stability and security of a leading Global 500 corporation while operating like multiple small and agile start-ups, where entrepreneurial spirit, pioneering teamwork, and bold, forward-thinking ideas pave new paths.
Every team member is encouraged to develop and leverage their unique expertise and strengths to make the greatest impact on the company and our end users. At Saint-Gobain, you’re empowered and equipped with countless opportunities and resources for professional development. You will find the support you need to create a vision and roadmap for your career, and make that vision a reality.
Invent yourself at Saint-Gobain Life Sciences; and together, we’ll create a better life.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now