The Furnace Project Engineer will work under the guidance of the Senior Furnace Engineer to learn the design and operation of the six glass melting furnaces in the Insulation Group. Projects will include, furnace repairs to extend furnace life, furnace rebuilds, and furnace operation to improve energy usage and emissions, including equipment design and optimization. In addition to the technical aspect of this position, this person will learn the basics of project management including writing scopes of work, budgeting, scheduling and contractor management working towards independent project responsibilities. This position will work closely and collaborate with mechanical and electrical engineers in the corporate engineering group, the plant hot end managers and engineers, the Saint-Gobain furnace group in France, the corporate purchasing group and develop skills to work with the Finance Group to review project costs and benefits. This person will also develop and maintain close relationships with key suppliers for materials and equipment relevant and specific to the glass industry. This position will allow for a unique opportunity of gaining experience and contributing to furnace technical project, project engineering and process engineering.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Update and review furnace drawings under the guidance of the Senior Furnace Engineer
- Learn how to select refractories based on glass chemistry and type of furnace
- Develop skills to conduct refractory inspections
- Work with the Saint-Gobain Furnace Group to ensure the design meets to meet corporate standards
- Work with the plant process engineers to gain knowledge of furnace operations
- Work with experienced corporate engineers to develop skills for on-site supervision of contractors
- Develop project management skills; scope development, budgeting , scheduling, project tracking
- Maintain project files for ongoing project control & future reference
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Ceramic, Material Science, Chemical etc.)
- 2-4 years of manufacturing experience, preferably with glass melting furnaces
- Proficient in AutoCad and 3D Modeling Software
- Excellent problem solving capabilities and the ability to work independently on assigned tasks
- Ability to work in teams
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Flexible and open-minded with good written and oral communication
- Nice to have: Understanding of mass and energy balance, process and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID), fluid properties and thermodynamics
This job requires travel to the five plant locations as well at travel for refractory inspections, equipment inspections, conferences, training, etc., up to 50% of the time.
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now