This role must be flexible in their work schedule as they will perform a majority of their duties on an off shift when the machines are open. This is a high stress machinist role as the product must be produced keeping safety as number 1 and producing a quality product within a 24-72 hour time window depending on the product.
Perform all processes required to manufacture prototype products per delivery schedule in accordance with engineering drawing and quality specifications. Processes to include set up and operate CNC lathes and mills, set up and operate equipment to fabricate spring energizers, product assembly, and production testing when required. Dimensional and visual inspection of product using various measuring equipment and tools, which include calipers, micrometers, pi tapes, comparator, smart scope, CMM, profilometer, or any other measuring tool that’s required. When issues arise that impact prototype quality and/or routed steps, identify root cause and recommend solution to programming or process engineering. Solution may include program editing, cutting tool or fixture modification. When not manufacturing prototype products time will be spent machining normal production orders as directed by the shift supervisor. Maintain a clean and safe work environment by adhering to all safety policies and procedures and implementing/sustaining 5s principles.
- Use engineering drawings to determine and complete the set ups and production of all operating sequences.
- Program, set up, operate, and adjust a broad range of CNC and manual machines as needed to produce product and assure dimensional conformance.
- Perform all prototype manufacturing processes which may include plastic machining, metal fabrication, product assembly, and testing.
- Verify and document product appearance and dimensional conformity using a wide variety of measurement equipment and tools.
- Understand and use Geometric Dimensioning and tolerancing and other advanced inspection concepts.
- Work from complex and involved part drawings and specifications.
- Working with the tool shop recommend work holding devices when required.
- Manufacture production orders when prototype orders are not available to produce.
- Be a recognized leader, comply with and maintain 5S and safe work environment practices.
- Manage time effectively and adhere to schedules in order to meet customer demands without compromising safety and/or product quality.
- Willingness to learn new technologies and machine/equipment applications.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Certified Machinist/Journeyman (Leading with Knowledge)
- 3 years minimum proven CNC lathe and mill programming, set up, and operational experience.
- Write/edit programs for, set up and operate multiple types of CNC lathes and mills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. (Working Together Diligently)
- Geometry and algebra knowledge.
- Able to read and interpret engineering drawings, specifications, and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to set up and operate various inspection tools and equipment
- CMM and Smart Scope experience a plus
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent GED.
- High level of urgency (Agility)
- Desire to complete product to exceed customer expectations. (Cultivate Customer Intimacy)
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate machinery.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- The hours for this shift is M-Th (4:30pm-3:00am).
Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics is one of seven businesses within the Innovative Materials Sector, which is spear-heading the advancement of innovation within the Group. Performance Plastics is a recognized leader in the advanced polymer technology market with access to state-of-the-art manufacturing and research & development facilities around the world.
Through close partnerships with our business leaders, our team works to support the achievement of business goals while emphasizing the PPL values of accountability, trust, initiative, respect and helping.
At Saint-Gobain, our people are our most valuable asset so we provide competitive base salary and incentive compensation packages to reward and recognize employees for their contributions toward the company's success. We also offer a comprehensive and flexible benefits package with programs designed to meet our employees’ diverse needs.
▪Medical/Vision/Dental/Pharmacy ▪Short and Long Term Disability ▪Life and AD&D Insurance ▪Dependent Life Insurance ▪Volunteer Paid Time Off ▪Retirement Plan: 401(k) ▪Group Legal Coverage ▪Flexible Spending Account ▪Paid Holidays ▪Paid Vacation ▪Tuition Reimbursement ▪Employee Assistance Program (EAP) ▪Matching Gifts Program ▪Product Rebates ▪Vendor Discounts ▪Scholarship Program ▪Live Well ▪Wellness Reimbursement ▪Pet Insurance
For additional information please visit us on Glassdoor.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Disabled/Veteran Apply Now