CertainTeed is looking for driven, talented, and energetic senior level engineers to join our team. This position is accountable for overseeing manufacturing and technical development projects, implementing process improvements, and sharing best practices at all glass mat plants. This position will lead the development and implementation of new processes, techniques & tools, which will be confirmed through the application of engineering fundamentals and process control statistical tools. Phases of development include pilot, scale-up, and implementation of R&D processes and new products into manufacturing. The candidate will take project objectives and transform them in to actionable tasks including research of technologies, design and execution of experimentation, analysis of results, and generation of IP and technical reports. The ability to communicate across all levels of the organization will be essential for this role in order to influence others and drive projects.
This position will have a focus on research and development in all aspects of the group’s technical area and new product development, thereby building technical depth in multiple areas of glass mat process technology and serve as technical expert in non-wovens and implementing formulation optimization customized for each glass mat plant. Under the direction of the R&D Manager, the candidate will also design, run experiments, produce lab scale samples, operate pilot equipment, and analyze the experimental outcomes. In addition to conduct experiments and trials for the candidate’s primary projects, the candidate will be expected to support projects led by others as subject matter expert on scaling up and process optimization. The incubate will take a key role on product assessment, optimization and scale up. S/He will organize R&D technical exchanges, identify, and share best practices between glass mat and shingle plants. Time will be split between glass mat process research (75%) and stage gate/portfolio management for the R&D organization (25%).
This will be done by:
- Conducting research and development process improvements related to the production of Glass Mat
- Ability to work in a production environment, building relationships and establishing support to drive projects forward.
- Track record of consensus building with colleagues on all levels of an organization to influence others and execute in a cross-functional environment.
- Manages multiple projects at various plants simultaneously, on time, well documented and within budget to meet business and customer objectives. Communicates to all stakeholders from plant personnel, operations management, finance, purchasing, marketing and research and development to drive projects forward.
- Leads glass mat projects from conceptualization to equipment design and purchase to plant commissioning in the 2 glass mat plants in parallel.
- Requires minimal assistance and guidance on administrative and technical aspects of role.
- Responsible for equipment purchases, prototype development, supervision of project team and compilation of results and recommendations. Held accountable to project budget, timeline and deliverables. Achieves substantial cost savings for the business.
- Visits with suppliers for purchasing and explores and implements new technologies independently.
- Identifies opportunities that could benefit from innovative solutions and work with R&D, operations, and technical teams to develop solutions.
- Works with Saint-Gobain North American Research & Development Center (SGR-NA), CertainTeed Roofing Engineering, and other R&D resources within Saint-Gobain (SG) to identify and develop practical concepts and solutions for Glass Mat processes.
- Coordinates work with external suppliers, universities, institutes and contract laboratories.
- Manages projects from technical concepts to operational handoff. Utilizing experimental design techniques to define key variables and optimize Glass Mat & Roofing products or process.
- Define material properties and key attributes.
- Provides technical support and assistance for trials, commissioning and troubleshooting of new technology utilizing WCM tools and principles.
- Prepares trial plans and leads manufacturing trials.
- Responsible for developing and presenting project progress to all levels of the organization.
- Manages the Stage Gate process for the Roofing R&D organization including setting up the Gate reviews and ensuring all gate related documentation is complete for each project.
- Responsible for thorough documentation and communication of projects, trial reports, scientific developments, etc.
- Develops and encourages innovation and Intellectual Property (IP) development and fosters IP development through the patent process with legal support.
- Preparation of Capital Requests.
- Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
- BS Degree with a minimum of 12+ years’ experience, or MS with 7+ years of experience, or PhD with 3+ years plus demonstrated technical judgement/accomplishments in Material Science, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering, or other related disciplines.
- 3+ years of hands on experience with manufacturing processes/equipment in an industrial or research setting.
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now