CertainTeed is looking for driven, talented, and energetic senior level process engineers to join our team. This exciting opportunity will enable you to be innovative as well as provide you the opportunity to apply your technical and practical knowledge to the optimization of all extrusion system processes.
CertainTeed’s culture is team-based, interactive, flexible, and supports continuous learning experiences, both hands-on as well as formal. Tools such as Lean Manufacturing, Kaizen, and Six-Sigma are used to improve our processes which improve our performances individually and as a group. We are growth-focused and believe that a positive working environment is critical to our success. This position is based at the R&D Jackson Development Center, Jackson, Michigan (~30 minutes from Lansing and Ann Arbor and just over an hour from Detroit)
In this role, you will serve as the Subject-Matter-Expert, providing Extrusion Process insights to drive continuous improvement of manufacturing processes and operational efficiencies (troubleshoot Production challenges and improve metrics e.g., Yield, Quality, OEE, identify Cost Savings opportunities, etc.) and/or support fundamental research within a major product or technology area (NPD/Front-End-innovation; New Formulation implementation). You will lead all Extrusion capability trials for New Product Launches, establish control limits, and drive its implementation. You will be part of a problem-solving team serving as a key technical leader geared towards improving processes and to relate finished product characteristics/defects to process changes.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background and experience in multi-layer sheet and profile co-extrusion process and equipment (esp. twin/conical screw extruders and ancillary), formulations, compounding, mold, and tooling design.
Essential Function and Responsibilities Include:
- Utilize simulation tools to optimize performance for profile and sheet extrusions and provide tooling design guidance to internal and external tooling houses
- Demonstrates an open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility; timely manage multiple projects simultaneously, captures and shares learning via good documentation
- Stays aware of new technology applications, technology landscape and competitive uses of same in work with materials, products, and processes; Able to communicate technically with internal competencies and external/university collaborators and utilize knowledge to advance projects and identify productive synergies
- Continuous interaction with Business, Operations and R&D in the optimization of existing tooling and processes for increased safety, quality, service, reliability, and cost (yield)
- Evaluate novel Manufacturing methods and recommend Capital Equipment needs; Engage with Operations, Purchasing, and Platform Leaders on technical evaluation and defining Equipment Specs including due-diligence
- Responsible for people development and holding direct reports and projects teams accountable in the appropriate manner
- Demonstrates technical leadership, functioning as a technical leader in project teams
- Effective in the presentation and communication of technical material and have an in-depth mechanical background, with a hands-on understanding of process control tools
- Strong oral and written communication skills required
- Excellent project management skills
- Demonstrated strong knowledge in HSE and IP
- Excellent project management skills are desired
- Innovative thinking and a drive for success is required
- Must be effective in the presentation and communication of technical material and have an in-depth mechanical background, with a hands-on understanding of machining practices and equipment and operations design
- Plastics, or Material Science, and 10+ years of experience or an MS degree and 6+ years of experience, or a Ph.D. and 3+ years of experience
- Extensive experience in twin-screw extruders utilizing multi-layer sheet and profile die technologies is required. Lab-scale single screw extrusion expertise a plus
- Strong experience with extrusion processing equipment, including profile and sheet dies, calibration systems, post-forming tools, and has the ability to perform analytical tests accurately for product and process evaluations
- Experience with extrusion die simulation tools for process design optimization. Recommend modifications to improve the design (die) and process (temperature, shear, velocity, pressure)
- Experience leading programs working with equipment and tooling vendor
- Expertise in screw geometry (conical + parallel) preferred
- Experience and ability to troubleshoot extrusion tooling is highly desired
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now