This position is subject to export controls under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Qualified applicants for the position must meet the ITAR definition of “U.S. Person” at 22 C.F.R. 120.15 as a: U.S. citizen, U.S. national, lawful permanent resident, or otherwise a protected individual (including for example refugees and asylees).
If you want to reshape the world and discover your greatest potential, Saint-Gobain provides one-of-a-kind opportunities for innovative problem solvers.
We're one of only two companies in the world that is consistently recognized as both a top Global Employer and a Top 100 Global Innovator, but Saint-Gobain's remarkable story and culture of innovation begins with a team of nearly 200,000 creative, diverse and passionate team members collaborating across the globe. We are committed to our mission to improve lives because, every day, we witness the enormous impact of our efforts on the world around us.
The Saint-Gobain Seals R&D Group is seeking a Simulation Engineer to be based out of Bristol RI to work on projects that will focus on part design, process improvement and materials selection as they pertain to the manufacturing of critical engineered components such as spring-energized seals, metal seals, diaphragms and others.
The candidate will be expected to work on projects in the areas of component design, assessment of design with simulation, simulation engineering services, which includes but is not limited to, scope definition, model construction, model analysis and debugging, result processing, and presenting findings in written and oral formats. The candidate is expected to collaborate effectively with R&D and engineering colleagues, product and marketing managers, application engineers, DSMs and external customers. In addition to the candidate’s primary projects, the candidate will be expected to support projects led by others.
- Identify, analyze, and provide technical solution for sealing product development problems through engineering simulation and analysis
- Work on the development of a model that incorporates the components of a critical assembly and apply the model to help make the design of such critical solution efficient.
- Ability to design and use numerical simulation to optimize parts and components and new manufacturing processes to expand the markets into which critical solutions are sold.
- Analyze and process raw test results for material model fitting and material parameters.
- Search and procure material and condition parameters in literature if not already existing in internal data or shared by customers.
- Interact across a broad range of levels, expertise, and geographic regions.
- Demonstrates open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility.
- Seeks out others to enhance and streamline development and decision making.
- Requires minimal assistance and guidance on administrative and technical aspects of role.
- Participate in technical exhibitions and meetings with customers to promote our engineering simulation service.
- Manages multiple projects simultaneously, on time, well documented to meet business and customer objectives.
- Establish and shift priorities as needed to meet commitments and project deliverables.
- Support senior simulation engineer
- Advancing numerical simulation for critical applications to establish thermal/mechanical conditions, tribology, leakage, fatigue, wear and aging of materials/products in application conditions.
- Development and roll out of engineering calculation programs (emulators).
- Respect and promote a safe work environment and abide by Saint-Gobain safety, health and environment policies and identify opportunities for improving safety in the work place.
- MS with 5+ years of experience or PhD plus demonstrated technical judgment/accomplishments. PhD is preferred.
- 2+ years of hands on experience with simulation, materials, manufacturing processes in an industrial or research setting (related experience during PhD can be counted)
- Must possess a body of technical work commensurate with their years of experience including but not limited to: ability to understand mathematical models, materials properties and testing, simulation methods and software, data analytics, and drawing conclusions based on a collection of basic data and interpretation, IP, Patents, and technical documents.
- Demonstrated ability to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Demonstrate ability to network within and out of group.
- Respectful communication and ability to collaborate in a team environment required.
- Demonstrate ability to network within and out of group.
- Develop ability to maintain composure and organize teams in high pressure situation.
- Demonstrate understanding of company policies
- Demonstrate understanding of corporate structure
- Expertise in numerical simulation, particularly with FEM, and statistical design as it relates to part design, mechanical behavior and composites systems is required
- Experience with but not limited to Abaqus, Ansys, COMSOL is required
- Knowledge in physics and mechanics of materials is required
- Working knowledge in SolidWorks or AutoCad to design parts is required
- Knowledge of engineered polymers (blends, process, mechanics etc.) is preferred
- Knowledge of machine learning and AI is a plus
Saint-Gobain’s innovations touch almost every major industry around the world, moving us forward, making meaningful connections, and inspiring us to go beyond the impossible. Within Mobility, our teams design and engineer critical, high-performance materials and proven solutions – most in challenging conditions and core systems that play an important part of our daily lives – as we drive to work or with family, fly on an airplane to explore the world, process samples for medical research, build a better rocket to go as far as we can in outer space; and dive deep under the sea to power our world. We are driven to collaborate with our customers and communities to improve and engineer the world of tomorrow!
Our team members recognize that we all create the environment for people to succeed, with a culture built on respect, open and honest communication, and honoring our commitments to our customers and each other. And at the heart of our culture, we’ve learned working together makes good ideas, great ones.
With a legacy dating back more than 350 years, Saint-Gobain offers employees the stability and security of a leading Global 500 corporation while operating like multiple small and agile start-ups, where entrepreneurial spirit, pioneering teamwork, and bold, forward-thinking ideas pave new paths.
Every team member is encouraged to develop and leverage their unique expertise and strengths to make the greatest impact on the company and our end users. At Saint-Gobain, you’re empowered and equipped with countless opportunities and resources for professional development. You will find the support you need to create a vision and roadmap for your career, and make that vision a reality.
Invent yourself at Saint-Gobain Mobility, and together, we’ll achieve the impossible!
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now