Saint-Gobain’s CertainTeed R&D center is looking for driven, talented, and experienced Senior R&D Manager to join our current team in leading a group of material scientists and engineers to conducting research, developing technical base, and formulating strategy for product development activities within the CertainTeed Roofing R&D group. The incumbent uses technical knowledge with strong supervisory skills to lead groups of engineers, scientists, and technicians in the development of new and improved products and processes. Projects will focus on improvement of processes, performance and product development activities related to Saint-Gobain/CertainTeed’s Roofing product line.
The Senior R&D Manager for the Materials Division for CertainTeed Roofing Products Group (RPG) is a member of the R&D management and leadership team, overseeing R&D and technical activities in support of business revenue, profitability and top line growth.
As a Senior R&D Manager, the candidate will be expected to effectively lead cross functional teams by managing others to execute and deliver project objectives. The candidate will be expected to lead R&D projects in the areas of asphalt, granules and glass mat materials engineering, technology development and process evaluation, collaborate effectively with R&D colleagues, product managers, product engineers, quality & purchasing teams and external suppliers, create and execute project plans, supervise the design of experiments, analyze data, and present findings in written and oral formats. The Senior Manager is closely involved in the long term planning of the group’s strategy, building capabilities for future project initiatives and ensuring the execution of capital projects are in line with business objectives and timing. Candidate is expected to play a role in programs vital to the R&D direction of the group. Further the candidate with be responsible for developing direct reports and others within group. Candidate is also expected to seamlessly integrate with plants, suppliers, customers to support product and process development, quality improvement efforts and address any business integration issues.
Essential Function and Responsibilities:
- Utilizes advanced scientific theory and new technology in innovative original research for major impact of development/improvement/application of materials/products/processes.
- Provides scientific leadership to associates and colleagues throughout Saint-Gobain.
- Manages a portfolio of multiple projects simultaneously, on time, well documented and within budget to meet business and customer objectives.
- Demonstrates open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility.
- Manages full business project portfolio across multiple regions and markets. Insures resources and projects are aligned with strategic focus of the business. Takes lead in the hiring and staffing of the teams - insuring that we hire strong skills both technical and leadership. Prepares reviews for business and technical leadership. Have excellent communications skills - oral and written.
- Required to develop assigned employees and self to fullest potential.
- Viewed as a great leader of people, while maintaining a broad-based knowledge of Company products/processes/technology.
- Works with key IP Attorney and key business leadership in order to insure the strategic management of the IP portfolio
- Able to communicate technically with internal competencies, university collaborators, suppliers and customers and utilize knowledge to advance projects and identify productive synergies and apply these to find solutions/advancements.
- Utilizes Stage Gate Process methodology to manage groups research projects
- BS Degree with a minimum of 18+ years’ experience, or MS with 13+ years of experience, or PhD with 9+ years’ experience plus demonstrated technical judgment/accomplishments; Acceptable degree areas are Material Science, Chemical Engineering, or other related disciplines.
- Must possess a body of technical work commensurate with their years of experience including but not limited to: demonstration of familiarity with statistical tools, data analysis, and drawing conclusions based on a collection of basic data and interpretation, IP, Patents, and technical documents.
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects within a structured process (Stage Gate).
- Demonstrated ability to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Demonstrate ability to network within and out of group, across the Saint Gobain global network
- Respectful communication and ability to collaborate in a team environment required.
- Demonstrate ability to network within and out of group.
- Develop ability to maintain composure and organize teams in high pressure situation.
- Demonstrate understanding of company policies
- Demonstrate understanding of corporate structure
- Ability to travel 25 to 50% required
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now