The Saint-Gobain Akron, OH facility is looking for a driven, talented, and energetic research engineer to join our growing Life Sciences team. Saint-Gobain is a world leader in developing innovative, high-performance solutions through our unparalleled expertise in silicone, thermoplastic elastomers, and fluoropolymers. We are searching for an experienced, hands-on project leader to investigate, research, and develop new technologies that strengthen our offerings. The new team member will have the opportunity to leverage their engineering and materials expertise by leading their projects from the initial stages of conceptualization, prototyping and experimental testing, to implementation in manufacturing. Projects will focus on product development activities and follow a Gate-based methodology with a focus in polymeric materials and structures for new tubing products.
The selected candidate will be expected to lead R&D projects through effective collaboration with R&D colleagues, commercial team members, application engineers, external customers, and external suppliers. The candidate will create and execute project plans, design and conduct experiments, analyze data, and present findings in written and oral formats.
The main job duties will include:
- Manages projects from inception through scale-up. Manages multiple projects simultaneously, on time, well documented and within budget. Is able to balance creativity with process and documentation.
- Excellent communicator who is able to communicate technically with internal and external collaborators and utilize knowledge to advance projects and identify productive synergies.
- Maintains an open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility. Seeks out others to enhance and streamline development and decision making.
- Extensively utilizes research and/or project experiences and broad expertise of polymer materials to improve on/or develop products and potentially, new processes.
- Understands Gate Process and Change/Design Control methodology/ideology and utilizes and incorporates it in projects.
- Utilizes broad technical background and experience to develop and/or improve products, processes, and performance and/or reduce costs within a major product area.
- Stays aware of new applicable and relevant technologies and the competitive landscape related to materials, products and processes.
PhD Required: Plastics/Polymer Engineering, Science, Chemistry, Material Science, or other related technical disciplines.
Project Leadership/Management Preferred: Prior management of laboratory technicians or engineers
Experience working directly with polymeric materials (thermoplastic or thermoset) -Required
Successfully working in a team environment. - Required
Green Belt Certification Preferred
Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics is one of seven businesses within the Innovative Materials Sector, which is spear-heading the advancement of innovation within the Group. Performance Plastics is a recognized leader in the advanced polymer technology market with access to state-of-the-art manufacturing and research & development facilities around the world.
Through close partnerships with our business leaders, our team works to support the achievement of business goals while emphasizing the PPL values of accountability, trust, initiative, respect and helping.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now