Under the supervision of the Materials and Product Development Leader, the Senior Product Development Engineer is expected to interface with other CertainTeed functions including marketing, quality, manufacturing representatives to successfully launch new products with a focus on injection molding and extrusion. This engineer is expected to use their skills to design products that meet customer needs while coordinating tooling builds and plant trials. The Senior Product Development Engineer is expected to use fundamental engineering principles, along with quality methodology, to reduce risk and ensure a successful product launch. In addition, this engineer should overcome obstacles that arise by solving technical challenges or by reaching out to other individuals or functions within Saint-Gobain.
- Developing and designing new products; project management, and seeing product development through from design phase to launch. Inclusive of capturing patent disclosures, evaluation of product/design, demonstrating feasibility, and final testing for performance and aesthetics.
- Leadership and project management- Proficient at leading a team through product development launch while keeping project on schedule, ensuring deliverables are met, and documenting results to present to leadership for approval prior to launch.
- Coordinate the design and fabrication of large-scale injection molds and extrusion tooling for production while working with purchasing as point of contact for tooling vendors.
- Lead vendor audits, prepare statements of work (SOW) for tool fabrication bids, and coordinate with CAPEX Center of Excellence (COE).
- Maintain an awareness of competitor’s products using benchmarking, patents, and searches.
- Partner with manufacturing team for process optimization and to debug/repair issues with production molds/extrusion tools.
- Develop and implement solutions for future quality improvements and cost reduction.
- Partner with the plant to determine proper packaging and shipping requirements.
- PhD / Master of Science in mechanical engineering with at least 5 years of relevant industry experience. Or, a Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering will be considered with 10 years of experience.
- Demonstrated track record in the design of injection molded and/or extruded parts using CAD (Solid Edge or equivalent).
- Experience in the design and coordination of injection mold fabrication.
- Experience in the modeling of polymer flow (e.g. Moldflow/Fluent) and other basic finite element analysis (FEA) to evaluate part design.
- Must have demonstrated project managemenr experience as well as leadership experience in managing product development, and leading project teams.
- Experience with product design methodology/tools (DOE, DFMEA, GD&T, 3D printing).
- Proficient in statistical analysis of data (MiniTab or equivalent) and MS-Office.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated and hands-on.
- Strong attention to detail and can work independently or as part of a team.
- This position involves travel (over 25% at times) to Saint Gobain / CertainTeed R&D and manufacturing sites and vendors.
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans. Apply Now