The Maintenance Engineer is responsible for investigating and problem solving plant reliability issues utilizing World Class Manufacturing (WCM) techniques and principles. As part of a maintenance team, this position supports critical project development and management as well as working with performance improvement teams in the rationalization, planning and scheduling of maintenance activities to drive improved sustainable plant performance (reliability, availability, yield, cost, etc.) in a manner consistent with CertainTeed Gypsum Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives (VMVO).
- Reports directly to the Maintenance Manager and works effectively with internal and external customers
- Provides an accident free worksite while maintaining status as the preferred supplier of quality products and services with a goal of world class yield, availability and reliability
- Responsible for planning, evaluating, organizing, and implementing assigned installation, maintenance and repair activities and coordinating with other departments to assure minimum downtime for production and maximum safety of employees
- Performs root cause analysis and implements sustainable countermeasures on losses related to maintenance
- Ensures Preventive Maintenance (PM) is accomplished in a timely manner and are to a high standard of quality
- Generate a complete PM program matrix and lubrication chart.
- Evaluates the results of the condition monitoring, NDT and oil condition monitoring and take actions based on the data/information received and evaluated.
- Coordinate with maintenance planner other departments the needs for the weekly maintenance preventive maintenance stops as well as for big repairs and shutdowns.
- Help optimize the use of third party services, material and spares, and lubricant inventory in the warehouse for cost control purposes.
- Responsible for defining, managing and executing CAPEX projects related to maintenance of plant assets.
- Responsible for creating the required PM program for newly installed equipment as part of the CAPEX projects; to ensure maintainability and sustainability of the asset.
- Work with maintenance supervisor to develop PM’s that drive improved reliability
- Interacts with managers and supervisors at plant and corporate personnel to secure appropriate resources to plan and implement projects
- Works closely with Production and Engineering Managers to coordinate any proposed changes using the change management system
- Supports Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) in the development of equipment ledgers and problem solving
- Develops and maintains standard operating and maintenance procedures and work instructions
- Maintains records of plant and individual equipment performance.
- Ensures full documentation of all projects and systems to WCM / Early Equipment Management (EEM) standards.
- Supports Autonomous Maintenance (AM) through training of operators and ensuring that equipment basic conditions are maintained.
- Analyzes / stratifies accurate data and information from records to prepare reports, statistics, etc. in support of continuous improvement of Reliability.
- Assures good housekeeping practices following 5S systems, enforces plant rules and safety regulations, and supports VMVO and WCM initiatives.
- Adheres to relevant policies and procedures including internal purchasing control policies
- Supports and participates in CertainTeed Gypsum Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives (VMVO), and WCM projects and plant initiatives as required
- Performs other Planning/Supervision and department back-up related duties as necessary.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering or similar discipline or equivalent experience.
- Experience with the sciences of heat transfer and flow of solids, liquids and powder.
- Excellent problem solving capabilities and the ability to work independently on assigned tasks.
- Flexible and open-minded with good written and oral communication.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and AutoCAD
PREFERRED OR DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Applied professional maintenance experience and aptitude in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience with P&ID, Equipment Layout Drawings, MS Project.
- Experience in grinding, conveying, mixing, forming, design optimization & troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of WCM, EEM, Kaizens, Lean, TPM, Root Cause, PFMEA & DFMEA toolsets
- Familiar with PM technologies (vibration analysis, infrared thermography, oil analysis, ultrasonic).
- Well versed on the use of SAP or other CMMS.